Scam messages have been sent out in the Tax Administration’s name. Read more about scams

Foreign worker staying no longer than 6 months – you have the option to claim progressive tax treatment

Progressive taxation means that your tax treatment depends on your income – the more you earn, the more tax you pay. In the progressive scheme, all your income and deductions over the year are taken into consideration when your tax rate is calculated. 

You are entitled claim tax treatment under the progressive scheme, and thus avoid being taxed by the “at source” system, if the length of your stay in Finland is max. 6 months and if your home country is

You must have a Finnish personal ID before you can submit your request for progressive treatment.

Read more about the tax cards issued to nonresidents. 

Complete 3 forms and make an appointment at a tax office



Complete Form 6150e to request a personal ID.

You must visit a tax office to sign the form after you have filled it in.



Complete Form 5057e to request a nonresident’s tax card.



Complete Form 6148e to request treatment under the progressive income tax scheme.

You are required to report the following amounts:

  • earned income from sources in Finland
  • the earned income for the entire year, which is subject to tax in your country
  •  your deductions against earned income


You must visit a tax office so that you can be identified and you can be given a personal ID.

Please bring the following with you:

  • the forms you have filled in
  • a valid passport or official proof of identity (not a driver’s licence)
  • a valid residence permit or visa if necessary
  • photocopy of your work order or employment contract
  • a written account given by your employer regarding your work in Finland, if the following information is not included in your work order or employment contract:
    • who your employer is
    • who the party in Finland who ordered the work is, i.e. who is the service recipient
    • your full name and date of birth
    • information on the start and end dates of your work in Finland
    • information on the place where work is done and a short description of the work you do
  • a photocopy of the A1 certificate, if you have one (A1 is a certificate issued by the authorities in your home country, affirming that you are covered by the social security system of that country). You can get an A1 certificate from your country if you are coming from another EU/EEA country, Great Britain or from Switzerland

Make an appointment in MyTax

If you cannot log in to MyTax, make an appointment by calling 029 497 010 (if you are calling from abroad, +358 29 497 010).

The Tax Administration makes sure that your tax matters are in order. We will send you a tax card or instructions for making prepayments.

Tax offices where you can get a Finnish personal ID

Submit the forms and enclosures to the Tax Administration

Finland will only collect taxes on the income you get from Finland. However, when the income subject to tax in your country is taken into consideration, the Finnish income tax rate is made higher. Examples of earned income taxable in your country include employment income, social benefits (unemployment allowance, students' grants) and pensions.

You may claim the following expenses as tax-deductible:

Please note that the tax authority in your country is probably not aware of all your taxable earned income, and deductions related to that income, at the point in time when you are completing the application form.

Examples of documents you can enclose with the application:

  • a certificate proving the amount of your wage income
  • if you receive unemployment relief, a document proving the amount you receive
  • if you receive pension income, the decision on pension
  • other documentation to prove how much income you receive

It may also be a good idea to enclose a tax certificate from your country that shows the results of the latest assessment of your taxes there.

Check your pre-completed tax return

If your income was subjected to progressive taxation in Finland, you will receive a pre-completed tax return by letter the following year. The amounts printed on it show your taxable income, deductions, and the final results of the Finnish tax assessment.

Check that all the information on the tax return is correct. If there is no need for changes, you do not have to do anything. You can make additions and corrections to your tax return information in MyTax.

The pre-completed tax return – making corrections in MyTax or on paper

Report income that you have received from your home country

For example, if you worked in Finland during the first months of the year and you had given the Finnish Tax Administration an estimated figure on your home-country income for the remainder of the year, enter the correct amount of income you have since received.

  • If the estimated figure was too high, you may have paid too much Finnish tax. In this case, the Finnish Tax Administration will send you a new decision, which probably states that a tax refund will be paid back to you.
  • On the other hand, if the estimated figure was too low, you may have paid too little Finnish tax. Then we will send you a new letter that requires you to pay us an additional amount – this is your back tax.

If you make corrections to your pre-completed tax return, we will send you a new tax decision in the autumn. You will see the final amount of taxes printed on it. If you must pay back taxes, we will also send you instructions for payment. In addition, the letter contains instructions on how a claim for adjustment can be made.

If you do not receive a pre-completed tax return in April, you must file a return at your own initiative in MyTax or on paper form 50A (Earned income and deductions).

Example: If your annual gross income is around €25,000, the rate of tax is 15%. (In addition to income tax, pension and unemployment insurance contributions may also be withheld from your wages.)

If you did not yet ask for progressive taxation, and your employer withheld source tax on your pay, you can still fill in your tax return form to ask for progressive tax afterwards. 

Submit the information on paper form

Submit your 2022 tax return’s all forms to the Tax Administration by 21 May 2024.

Pre-completed tax return

Page last updated 11/24/2023