Tax card for students

If you are a student, you need a tax card for wage income.

Are you a full-time student?

If you are a full-time student and your only income is a study grant from Kela, i.e. financial aid for students, you do not need a tax card. The study grant is not taxed.

Are you studying and working?

If you receive a study grant from Kela and also work, you need a tax card for wages. Your study-grant income affects the withholding rate on your wages, i.e. on how much tax you need to pay on your wages.

The housing supplement and the general housing allowance do not affect the withholding rate on your wages. You do not need to report the housing supplement and the general housing allowance when you are requesting a tax card.

Request a tax card in MyTax

See guidance on how to request a tax card when you receive a study grant and wages

Ask your employer how to deliver the tax card

Check with the employer or payor of other income how they want to receive your tax card information. Many employers and other payors receive tax card details electronically directly from the Tax Administration. In that case, you do not need to take any action.

If the payor does not receive your tax card details electronically, you yourself must provide them for example by presenting or sending the tax card to the payor. Check with the payor how to proceed and when the information is needed. Take into account that the payor may need the tax card details for example 2 weeks before wage payment.

Keep track of your earnings

Your tax card has one income ceiling for the entire year. The income ceiling is the maximum amount of income to which your withholding rate applies.

Keep track of the total wages you earn from different jobs during the year. If your income exceeds the income ceiling, request a new tax card.

Invoicing service companies have different ways of operating.

Read more about tax card for “light” entrepreneurs

Page last updated 11/14/2022