Securities broker’s transfer tax return
Securities brokers can submit transfer tax returns in MyTax
The Lomake.fi service will close down on 31 December 2023. If you want to keep the returns and reports submitted through Lomake.fi, please save them on your computer. If there is an API between the securities broker's software and the Tax Administration, it will work as before – no changes are to be expected. Read more about the changes.
A securities broker can be a Finnish investment firm or credit institution or the Finnish branch or office of a foreign investment firm or credit institution.
Securities brokers must collect transfer tax from the buyer at the signing of the contract for any transfers of securities on which the securities broker is obligated to collect tax.
File transfer tax returns every month
As a securities broker, you must file a transfer tax return on the taxes you have collected by the 15th of the next month after date when the securities were transferred. Please note that you must file a separate transfer tax return for each sale and for each buyer.
You must file the securities broker’s returns electronically, either in MyTax or by using an API to file the return directly from your software to the Tax Administration. You can also use the online form in Lomake.fi, which remains available until 31 December 2023.
Filing the transfer tax return via API
You can file the securities broker’s transfer tax return directly from your software if you have an API to the Tax Administration’s systems.
Contact your software provider to ask if your software is compatible with APIs. If no API for transfer tax filing has been developed yet for your software, instruct your software provider to contact the Tax Administration at ohjelmistotalot(at)vero.fi. We will then provide instructions on how to develop the API.
Transfer tax return in MyTax
Starting 19 November 2023, you can use MyTax for filing the securities broker’s transfer tax return.
Log in to MyTax with your online banking codes or mobile certificate. After logging in, select Report or request information in a limited scope. You do not need a separate authorisation in order to file the transfer tax return. MyTax will require you to fill in the details of the securities broker on the return. When filing the securities broker’s transfer tax return, do not select “Act on behalf of a company” when logging in.
Filing a transfer tax return in Lomake.fi
You can file the transfer tax return for real estate agents and securities brokers in Lomake.fi until 31 December 2023. You can use Lomake.fi on behalf of a company or organisation if you have the required authorisation.
Late-filing penalty or punitive tax increase
As the securities broker, you are responsible for filing transfer tax returns. If you file late, you must pay a late-filing penalty or a punitive tax increase.
Pay the tax forward monthly
The tax you have collected as the securities broker must be paid forward to the Tax Administration by the 15th of the month following the signing of the transfer agreement.
Pay the tax by using the investment firm’s reference number for transfer tax. This ensures that the payment is allocated correctly.
If you are authorised to manage securities broker’s tax matters, you can pay the transfer tax in the firm’s MyTax. Note: If you file the transfer tax return in MyTax by using the “Report or request information in a limited scope” functionality, click Change role after you have filed the return. Then select Act on behalf of a company.
- If you pay the tax in the investment firm’s MyTax, the reference numbers and other payment details are automatically pre-completed on the payment template in your e-bank. See instructions: How to pay taxes and find the information for payment in MyTax
- If you instead pay the tax in your e-bank, remember to use the securities broker’s reference number for transfer tax in order to ensure that the payment is allocated correctly.
- Log in to MyTax to see the payment details, such as the reference number and the Tax Administration’s bank account number, or call our telephone service at 029 497 026 (Payment transactions, limited service available in English, standard call rates).
- The reference number for transfer tax is taxpayer-specific, and it is always the same for the same party.
When you pay transfer tax in MyTax or in your e-bank, the payment will be visible in the firm’s MyTax in 1–2 business days. When you pay in MyTax, the amount is debited from your bank account on the same day. You cannot change the due date.
Provide the buyer with proof of transfer tax
You must give the buyer a summary of the filed information as a document proving that you have collected transfer tax as required.
- If you filed the transfer tax return directly from your software via API, print a summary of the filed data from your software, including the filing date and the return identifier.
- If the transfer tax return was filed in MyTax, print out or save a summary of the submitted information and give the summary to your client as proof that the tax has been paid. The summary will also show the time when the return was filed and the return’s processing number. The filer of the return can find the summary on the front page, under Status of returns and requests: first select the return based on the filing date, and then click the Open as file (pdf) link.
- If the transfer tax return was filed in Lomake.fi, print out the Tax Administration's acknowledgement of receipt, which includes the time of receipt and the number of receipt. Returns filed in Lomake.fi can be viewed in My e-Services. Lomake.fi’s My e-Services feature allows you to access returns that have been filed up to 2 years earlier. You can also print the returns out on paper. If the return was filed in the company's name, log in to My e-Services in the company's name, too. Note: Lomake.fi will close down on 31 December 2023. Download any returns you want to keep on your own computer before the service closes.
If you filed the return in MyTax:
See the instructions for making corrections to a transfer tax return in MyTax (linkki)
If you filed the return in Lomake.fi:
See the instructions for making corrections to a transfer tax return in Lomake.fi
If you filed the return from your software via API:
If something needs to be corrected in the return you have filed, you can make the correction yourself via the API provided that the software developer has updated this feature to your software. In this case, file a replacement return. When filing the replacement return, specify the original transfer tax return that the new return is intended to replace. When you file the replacement return, you must fill in all the required information again.