Selling residential property

You may sell your permanent home exempt from tax, provided that both of the following conditions are met:

  • You have owned the house or apartment for at least 2 years.
  • You have or one of your family members has permanently lived in the house or apartment continuously for at least two years while you have owned the property. Family members include the spouse and children under 18.

In other cases, capital gain for the residential property, in other words any profit you make on the sale, is taxable as capital income. If you sell the residential property at a loss, the loss is deductible primarily from the capital gains of the tax year in question.

Even if you do not pay taxes on the sale of your residential property, you must ensure that the information regarding the sale is included in your pre-completed tax return.

When you receive the pre-completed tax return, check the information in it. If the information on the sale of the residential property is not in the tax return, file the missing details either in MyTax or on Form 9.


When you sell a residential property, we will be informed about the sale through the transfer tax return or the National Land Survey of Finland. We will contact you and ask for more information for calculating any prepayments. After that, we will post you a prepayment decision and bank transfer forms for payment of the tax.

If you wish, you can request a tax prepayment in MyTax or by submitting form 9 (capital gain or capital loss) to the Tax Administration. Read more about prepayments


Check the pre-completed tax return and if needed, correct the information in MyTax.

The profit for selling the residential property is taxed as capital income for the year of the sale. The time of receiving the selling price is irrelevant to the time of taxation.

If you made a loss on the sale of a residential property, do as follows:

  1. The Tax Administration will contact you to ask for further information. You will receive a request by post for further information on the capital gain.
  2. Check and if needed, correct the information in the request you received.
  3. Check the information in the tax return in the spring.

How to deduct loss

Losses from selling residential property can be deducted from both capital gains and other capital income. Capital losses cannot be deducted from earned income.

If you have no capital income in the year of the sale, or the capital income is less than the loss to be deducted, the Tax Administration will deduct the capital loss from the capital income over the next five years.

The capital loss arises in the year in which a binding sale or other agreement was concluded.

The loss for selling your own permanent home is not tax-deductible if the profit for selling the same residential property would have been exempt from tax.

The tax rate for capital income applies to tax paid on capital gains

The seller of the property pays tax on the capital gain according to the capital income tax rate.

Tax rates for capital income
Up to €30,000 30 %
The part exceeding €30,000 34 %