Scam messages have been sent out in the Tax Administration’s name. Read more about scams

Report rental income on your tax return

When you receive the pre-completed tax return, check the information in it. If no information on your rental income is included or if corrections must be made, log in to MyTax and make the corrections. You must do this by the deadline date indicated on your return.

Log in to MyTax

If you do not file your return online, you can use these paper forms:

When you send back the paper forms by post, please note that they must arrive at the Tax Administration by the return's deadline date. The Tax Administration’s address is stated on the first page.

Did you use a platform, an app, a website to rent out property to guests and tenants? The Tax Administration receives information concerning the income paid to you through digital platforms both in Finland and abroad. The Tax Administration requires that you report all this income, and we also exercise control. Remember to fill in the tax return giving details on your income and related expenses, because these may be missing from the pre-completed tax return.

Keep the receipts

Keep hold of your receipts and only send them to the Tax Administration if specifically requested. Do not enclose receipts with the forms.

Keep records of your rentals, including all the information and receipts required for tax purposes. You must keep the records for 6 years, starting from the beginning of the year after the end of the tax year.

Remember to pay tax on rental income

Check whether your rental income is covered by your tax card or prepayments. If not, request a new tax card or prepayment in MyTax. This way, your taxes are kept up to date and you will not have to pay back taxes later.

You can also supplement your prepayments. You can request and pay an additional prepayment from December in the tax year up until the completion of your tax assessment.

How to pay tax on rental income

How to make an additional prepayment

Make sure you report your rental income correctly

If your tenant pays their rent in advance, any amounts you receive before the end of the year count towards your taxable income during that year.

Example: Antti only paid Pekka for 11 months’ rent in 2023, as Pekka did not receive his December rent until January 2024. Pekka declares his rental income according to 11 months in his 2023 tax return. If Antti pays all the rent due in 2024 (12 months) during 2024, Pekka’s rental income in 2024 will be based on 13 months’ rent.

If you co-own a rental property, you only need to report your share of the rental income and any associated costs. For example, if you co-own a buy-to-let property with a partner, each of you should only report half of the rental income and deductions.

Example: Sanna and Pasi are a married couple who co-own a flat that they have let to a tenant called Matti Meikäläinen. Matti’s rent is €800 per month, which gives Sanna and Pasi a joint annual rental income of €9,600. The maintenance charge on the flat is €130 per month, or €1,560 per year. Their other expenses from the rental amount to €180 in total. Sanna needs to report her share of the rental income (€4,800.00) and the associated expenses (€780.00 and €90.00). Pasi needs to do the same.

If you are an owner of multiple flats, apartments or other rental property units, you must break down the income and expenses specifically for each one.

Example: Rental income from property A (after deducting expenses) amounts to €4,500 and rental income from property B to €4,000. Property C has made a rental loss of €2,000. 

The rental income and expenses for each property need to be entered separately. The taxable rental income amounts to €8,500 in total and rental losses to €2,000.

If you charge rent from your own business, you need to declare it as rental income in your tax return. Rent must be charged at market value.

Business or agricultural income may include rental income, such as rent on farmland. Such rental income does not constitute capital gains in its own right and is instead included in what is called divisible business income.

Rental income from business or agriculture must be declared as agricultural or business income. 

Everyone of the co-owners must inform the Tax Administration of the parts of the income and expenses attributable to each one of them. Separate recordkeeping is required.

However, the change does not apply on the real-estate consortia that have a VAT registration and on the consortia that have submitted an application for VAT liability for transfer of the rights of use over a real estate unit. In the above circumstances, the consortium’s status will be the same as before. Moreover, the change does not apply on an agricultural consortium or forestry consortium.


Page last updated 3/5/2024