Bringing a used car to Finland

If you took a used motor vehicle with you from a country in the EU or EEA, you are not required to pay car tax until you start driving it in Finland.

File the declaration of use electronically. You must do this before driving the car in Finland. You must have a valid registration in another EEA country or you must obtain a transfer permit (in Finnish) from the Finnish authorities (Traficom).

Don’t forget to complete a tax return (in Finnish or Swedish) for car tax in five days after you submitted the declaration of vehicle use.

However, you do not have to file the declaration of use if the vehicle will not be driven in Finland before registration, or if the vehicle stays on a trailer when you move it around.

A used car from other countries than EU must additionally be cleared with customs (Customs).

Guidance for completing the forms and instructions for payment – when the car is in Finland and you want to use it


Submit the declaration of vehicle use

If you want to operate the motor vehicle in Finland before registration, e-file a declaration of use in advance.

Note: at this stage, you can have an inspection for registration carried out for your car without further delay. For more information, see section 4.


File your car tax return

After you filed the declaration of use, you must file the car tax return in five days. You can file the car tax return when the vehicle is in Finland.

Note: decisions are not issued immediately after you have submitted the return. When the processing is finalised, you will receive e-mail to notify you of your car tax and you’ll also receive the decision letter by post.

Check the estimated processing time for the car tax return. 

If you cannot use the electronic filing service, you can send us a paper form. If you opted for the paper form, we will send you the decision letter only by post.


Pay the car tax

Pay the car tax by its due date. See instructions for payment.


Get the vehicle registered

Take the car to a test station. It will undergo an inspection for vehicle registration.

If necessary, you can go to the test station and ask for the inspection to be started even if you haven’t yet filed your car tax return.

This is required for some motor vehicles, including those imported from countries outside the EEA and vehicles subject to reduced rates of car tax. Inspection at the test station must be completed before the Tax Administration can make the decision on car tax.