Home office deduction
If you work from your own home, or have rented a separate workspace, you can deduct the expenses.
A workspace deduction is included in the expenses for the production of income. If you have wage income, you will automatically receive a €750 deduction. The Tax Administration makes the deduction on your behalf. However, the deduction may not exceed your wage income amount.
If you work from home
If you work from home the calculation of a home office deduction is generally formula-based. The formula-based home office deduction covers workspace rent, furniture, illumination, electricity, heat and cleaning.
The deduction can also be granted on the basis of actual expenses incurred if an adequate statement is provided.
If you use your home office for agriculture, forestry or business activity only, deduct its costs from the income in question. In these situations,do not to file the home office deduction information for your tax card or pre-completed tax return.
Formula-based home office deduction in 2022:
Home office deduction EUR 920
- Your employer has not arranged an office for you, and you use your home office for the production of your primary earned income (e.g. freelance reporters).
- You telecommute on certain days and they account for more than 50% of all your working days in a calendar year.
- You have used your home office for the production of different income types or for different sources of income (see the example).
Home office deduction EUR 460
- You use your home office on a part-time basis for the production of your primary earned income or to earn secondary income on a permanent basis or in substantial amounts.
- You work from home on a regular basis, but the number of telecommuting days is no more than 50% of all your working days in a calendar year.
Home office deduction EUR 230
- Your use your home office for the production of occasional secondary income.
- You telecommute only occasionally.
If two spouses use the same apartment for income production, both spouses can claim the standard deduction for workspace expenses as described above.
You have acquired temporary accommodation in another district because of your work
If, in addition to your actual workplace, you have arranged a temporary place to live for work purposes and your permanent home is located more than 100 km from both the temporary accommodation and your actual workplace, due to which you have arranged the temporary accommodation, you can claim a deduction for temporary accommodation in another district because of your work (In Finnish and Swedish only).
You have arranged a separate workspace
You can deduct the actual expenses (rent or maintenance fee) if the workspace is reserved solely for work. You can also deduct other expenses (including electricity and cleaning expenses and property taxes, if applicable).
Examples of home office deductions in the case of different income types and sources of income
Example 1: You earn income from both agriculture and forestry. You may be granted a home office deduction for both types of income. However, the total amount of your formula-based deduction can be €920 per year at maximum.
Example 2: You have both earned and capital income. You may be granted a home office deduction for both earned and capital income if you have used your home office for the production of both income types.