Nearly half a million Finnish taxpayers can now find their pre-completed tax returns in MyTax – check your tax return and add any missing income and deductionsTax Administration Bulletin, 2/24/2022
Self-employed individuals operating under a business name and agricultural operators and their spouses are the first group of taxpayers to receive their pre-completed tax returns. Their deadline for checking their tax returns is 1 April. Other taxpayers will receive their pre-completed tax returns in March or April and their deadline is in May.
Self-employed individuals operating under a business name and agricultural operators and their spouses can now find their pre-completed tax returns in MyTax. This group of taxpayers consists of 450,000 individuals.
Check your pre-completed tax return carefully and add the missing information, if necessary. The Tax Administration receives a great amount of information automatically but there are some details on income and deductions that you need to fill in yourself.
- Remember to check whether you are entitled to a workspace deduction. Also report all other possible tax deductions, such as travel expenses and credit for household expenses if you have not reported them already. On the other hand, if you have received rental income or traded crypto currencies, you need to add the information on your tax return, says Nilla Hietamäki, Communications Manager at the Tax Administration.
The tax return will be delivered by post to those taxpayers who have not yet activated electronic communication.
You can stop receiving paper mail from the Tax Administration by activating the electronic Suomi.fi Messages service. With the Messages activated, you will receive an email notification every time MyTax has new information on your taxes.
Self-employed individuals operating under a business name: also remember the business tax return, which is, for the first time, available only in MyTax
During spring, self-employed individuals operating under a business name need to make additions to two tax returns: their personal pre-completed tax return and the business tax return. The deadline for both of these is 1 April.
The business tax return relating to business operations must always be filed, even if there were no business activities in the previous year.
- Self-employed individuals operating under a business name can make various deductions that reduce the amount of the company’s taxable income. You can deduct the rent paid for a workspace, car expenses related to business activities and any expenses related to machinery or equipment purchased for business purposes, says Hietamäki.
The Tax Administration deducts the losses for earlier years and the deduction for entrepreneurs automatically.
This year, the self-employed individuals operating under a business name receive their tax returns for the first time in electronic format only via MyTax.
- Almost all self-employed individuals have usually filled in their tax returns electronically. However, if you still want to submit the tax return on paper, you can print out the paper form on tax.fi or order it by telephone, says Hietamäki.
Agricultural operators: tax returns for agricultural operations must always be filed
Agricultural operators receive both a personal pre-completed tax return and a tax return for agricultural operations. The deadline for these is 1 April.
The tax return for agricultural operations must be filed even if no activity has taken place in 2021.
The Tax Administration has already sent the tax returns for agriculture and forestry earlier. The due date for the tax returns for agricultural partnerships and for forestry is 28 February.
FACT: File your tax return by these due dates
28 February 2022
- Tax return for forestry operations for those who do not have agricultural or business activities
- Tax return for agriculture, agricultural partnership
- VAT return and the payment of tax if the tax period is a year
- Application for refund of excise duty on energy products for agriculture
1 April 2022
- Pre-completed tax return on personal income for self-employed individuals operating under a business name and agricultural operators and their spouses
- Tax return for agricultural operations
- Business tax return
10 May 2022
The first due date for the pre-completed tax return for wage and pension earners. The tax returns for wage and pension earners will become available for additions on three different dates.
17 May 2022
The second due date for the pre-completed tax return for wage and pension earners.
24 May 2022
The third due date for the pre-completed tax return for wage and pension earners.