Accessibility Statement – ilmoitinfi
The Finnish Tax Administration seeks to ensure the accessibility of its websites and e-services in accordance with the provisions of the act on digital services (Laki digitaalisten palvelujen tarjoamisesta 306/2019).
The present document, dated 15 Sept 2020, concerns the “Ilmoitin.fi” e-service. The Eficode Oy company has evaluated accessibility.
Compliance with requirements
This website complies with the requirements of the act on digital services (306/2019) in part. Non-compliance and exceptions are specified below.
Non-accessible content (under the WCAG 2.1 criteria)
The tables (including the expandable tables) are not accessible. They include structures based on the colspan tool, colours, drill-down tables, etc. that can distort the column headings if users rely on screenreader software. The distortions can make the tables difficult to follow and understand.
Performance of links and navigation
- A number of links open up new windows or new tabs, but the links do not contain specific indications of where they go. Keyboard users are unable to access the part of the content under a skip link. The tab key on the keyboard does not work.
- Main level and lower levels of navigation cannot be identified in the code structures. As a result, in vertical navigation, the levels remain unclear. The “open the submenu” alt-text is showing although the menu is open during navigation.
- Too much horizontal scrollwork is involved when users need to zoom in their browser windows.
- The radio buttons on the Authorisations page cause the visible content to change. No warning is given to the user before the content changes. However, after the content has changed, the user can relatively easily understand that this happened thanks to the differences in context. The radio buttons on the Archive page of Ilmoitin.fi do not work before the user has pressed the Search button.
- Ilmoitin.fi uses no Label Elements for labeling the user-input spaces.
Performance of images or videos
- Images have no alt text.
- No subtitles are included in the videoclip containing instructions for submittal. The link pointing to video content will surprise the user as it opens a new tab. After the videoclip starts running, the control buttons either have no written text or the only displayed text is in English (not Finnish or Swedish). After the videoclip starts running, no keyboard control keys are functioning any longer; they are hidden from the user’s view and if no mouse is available, the controls probably cannot be brought back.
The file check functionality
Users that have selected a file will see the “no files selected” error message even after they have successfully selected the desired file. Such a message gives incorrect information to the user, as it is not in line with the view on the bottom part of the screen. The check function does not communicate field-specific error findings clearly to the accessories that are in use. Moreover, the required fields are not indicated. If a file is missing, the e-service will display an error message. However, it does not contain a role=alert attribute or it does not yet have focus. After the check is completed, the message that appears if the user neglects to select any file for submittal has the same problems as above.
The content and/or features discussed above are not accessible because they would require a disproportionate amount of work and the temporary exception referred to in Article 5 of EU Directive 2016/2012 is therefore applied to them.
- Ilmoitin.fi was created in the early 2000’s. It represents a technology that does not provide enough support for today’s requirements for accessibility. To add support features to Ilmoitin.fi later is likely to be difficult. A number of features and functions are mainly in professional use by accounting firms, accountants, and software developers. This way, Ilmoitin.fi is not widely used by the public. After evaluating this e-service, the conclusion is that the changes that would improve Ilmoitin.fi’s accessibility would require an extensive effort, and new technologies would be necessary as the e-service would have to be rebuilt. The estimated cost would be quite high in relation to the number of users.
- At present, projects are underway for transferring the Finnish Tax Administration’s electronically supplied service and information flows to MyTax and to API interfaces. This will happen in stages. The new services will offer users an accessible alternative.
Feedback and contact information
Have you noticed omissions in accessibility? Please let us know! Send your feedback to tamo.tk(at)vero.fi.
If you notice any problems with accessibility on a website, first give feedback to the administrator of the site. In accordance with the law and the related transition period, the Tax Administration will make every effort to respond to all feedback within two weeks, starting 23 September 2020 at the latest.
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can send your feedback to the Regional State Administrative Agency of Southern Finland. For instructions on how to file a complaint and how the matter is processed, visit saavutettavuusvaatimukset.fi (available in Finnish and Swedish).
Contact information for the supervising authority
Regional State Administrative Agency of Southern Finland, Accessibility Unit