Information on the Positive credit register for software developers
The legal act that will govern the Positive credit register is being prepared. Statements and opinions were received in spring 2021 from stakeholders in order to finalise the Finnish government's proposal to the Parliament. According to plan, the Register will open in early 2024.
Principles of technological design and function
- The Positive credit register’s functional principles will be controlled by new legislation for which the planned effective date is 1 August 2022.
- To plan and maintain the future register is the responsibility of the Finnish Tax Administration’s unit called the Incomes Register Unit.
- The Positive credit register saves information and processes it for purposes defined by law. One of the products of the processing is to compile a data extract containing personal credit information – the credit register extract.
- Registered data will only be available to the organisations that are entitled to this by definition of law. In the same way, the data can only be used for purposes enumerated in the law.
- The parties that send information to the Positive credit register must do so because of a new, legally defined information-reporting requirement.
- The law will provide that registered data can only be used against a charge.
- The transfer of information will be based on a high level of automation.
- Lenders will submit information through system interfaces. The information cannot be submitted on a paper form.
- Multiple interfaces are also used for transmitting the Positive credit register’s data dispatches to public authorities, and for the fulfilment of requests for credit register extracts.
- In addition, a special e-service will be built for private individuals. This gives everyone the right of access to the data which has been collected concerning him or her. The e-service will also comply with today’s accessibility requirements.
A number of interfaces between IT systems will help transfer information between the concerned parties and the Positive credit register. The following interfaces are planned:
- Reporting interfaces for credit institutions, lenders, etc.
- Another interface for credit institutions, etc. where they can make requests for credit register extracts.
- Several interfaces for the public authorities that use the registered data.
- A system interface for control of the register’s operation.
- An interface for companies that provide credit rating services, for transferring data on voluntary credit bans.
Organisations will need certificates to use an interface. The certificate provides a means for the Positive credit register to ascertain an organisation’s identity.
The interfaces will function in English only. However, user instructions will be issued in Finnish, Swedish and English.
The Positive credit register will be opened in spring 2024, and we will release the technical documentation of its interfaces at least one year in advance, by January 2023.
Credit institutions must sign up as users of the register by autumn 2023.
Credit institutions send information on their existing loan contracts between 1 February 2024 and 31 March 2024.
Registered data will be available to its users as of 1 April 2024.
Working together with stakeholders including invitations to extensive test sessions
We find that close cooperation with the Positive credit register’s future stakeholders is important. Our stakeholders will have many opportunities to make comments about the design and provide important feedback in order to optimise the technological solution. To disseminate information on the status of the project, we arrange webinars and other events.
As the development progresses, the stakeholders can conduct tests with the Positive credit register system to ensure mutual compatibility. The start of the register’s testing is to be announced.
Join our mailing list to receive regular updates
As our work advances, we distribute information to stakeholders with regular intervals. We provide details on the different stages of the ongoing development and design work. You can join our mailing list to receive invitations to the webinars and other events. To sign up for the mailing list, send e-mail to luottotietorekisteri (at) vero.fi.
You are welcome to send us e-mail at any time if you need to ask about the Positive credit register and its current stage of planning. Our Frequently Asked Questions pages are updated at regular intervals.
luottotietorekisteri (at) vero.fi