For which vehicles you must file a car tax return?

Car tax is collected for all the following motor vehicles registered for the first time or put on the road for the first time in Finland:

  • passenger cars
  • vans and buses (weighing less than 1,875 kg)
  • motorcycles and other L-category vehicles (e.g all-terrain quadricycles).

You are also required to file the car tax return for the following vehicles in case the vehicle is exempted from car tax or subject to reduced car tax:

  • Diplomatic vehicles
  • EU vehicles
  • Veterinary vehicles
  • Taxis
  • Motor homes
  • Rescue vehicles
  • Hearses
  • Ambulances

You can find more information about reduced car tax from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency (Traficom).