How to order a tax card only for benefits in MyTax

Benefits include earnings-related unemployment allowance, basic unemployment allowance, labour-market subsidy, maternity allowance, parental allowance, child home care allowance, sickness allowance and adult education allowance as well as sickness allowance due to infectious disease.

For a tax card, you need information on your income and deductions:

  • Estimate your total income for the year.
  • Calculate the income and taxes for the beginning of the year.
  • Also add details on any deductions.

How to use MyTax

  1. Log in to MyTax (opens in a new window)

    Logging in to MyTax requires electronic identification. You need personal online banking codes or a mobile certificate.

  2. Select Tax cards and prepayments under Activities.

  3. Select Request a new tax card

  4. You will now see your details. Check that the details are correct. Proceed to the next stage, Pre-completed income and deductions.

  5. You do not have to make changes to your wage details if you do not want a new tax card for wages and the amount of wages for the entire year is correct. If you become unemployed and receive less wages than originally estimated, then change the amount of wages as well.

    1. If you only want a tax card for benefits and you do not need a new tax card for wages: Leave the details in the Wages and fringe benefits for 2021 section as they are and move on to the next stage (Other income).
    2. If you want a new tax card for wages in addition to a benefits tax card, make the following changes under Wages and fringe benefits for 2021: Estimate the amount of pay you will receive in the entire year. Report the pay you have received since the start of the year as well as the tax withholdings you have paid. You can also use information from the Incomes Register. Do not include benefits.
  6. Add a new benefit or make changes to the benefits. Select Yes under Benefits and then Add new benefit.

  7. First state whether the benefit is being paid by Kela or other Finnish payor (also give the payor’s name, such as General unemployment fund YTK or Other Finnish payor and then write e.g. Employment Fund). After that, enter the rest of the benefit details: benefit type, time period and benefit amount. If you receive temporary epidemic support from Kela, select Other benefit. 

    If you have not received a decision on the benefit, you can give your own estimate of the benefit amount. For example, the amount of earnings-related unemployment allowance is approximately 60% of your pay.

    After you have entered the details, click OK.

    Note: If the payor is in the list, you do not need to add the payor’s address when selecting the delivery method.

  8. Click Edit to make changes to the details you have reported. Once everything is correct, proceed to Other deductions.

  9. Report any deductions and tax credit here.

    Note: If you have travel expenses, decrease the amount of expenses if you do not have travel expenses for the entire year.

    Once everything is correct, proceed to the next stage, Delivery method.

  10. Select the date when you want the tax card to become valid and the delivery method.

    Enter the date from which your new tax card is valid.

    If you have previously selected the payor of the benefit from the list, the Tax Administration will deliver the tax card directly to them. For example, Kela will receive your tax card information directly from the Tax Administration.

    If you have selected Other Finnish payor and written the name of the payor yourself (e.g. Employment Fund), you can select whether you want the tax card delivered to your home or directly to the payor. In this case, you will have to add the payor’s address at this stage.

    If you have also made changes to your wage details, you will also receive a new tax card for wages. Select whether you want your tax card for wages

    • only electronically to MyTax
    • to MyTax and delivered by post to your home
    • to MyTax and delivered by post to the payor.
  11. Recheck all the information. If you find any errors, correct them before submitting the request. You can go back to earlier stages by clicking Previous.

    If you wish to continue filling in the details later, select Save as unfinished.

  12. Once all the tax card details are correct, select Submit.

    You will then receive an acknowledgement of receipt.

    The Tax Administration will send your new tax card directly to the payor. You can see copies of your tax cards for benefits and wages in your MyTax mailbox. You can access the mailbox on the MyTax home page.

If your benefit stops during the year and you start receiving pay, order a new tax card. This will ensure that you have the correct tax rate for your pay.

You can also order a tax card in other ways:

Information on tax cards and tax rates for benefits