MyTax is unavailable until 9 am on Tuesday 24 November.

How to file commuting expenses within special sectors of work in MyTax

  1. Select Tax returns and tax information under Activities.

  2. Select the year 2020. Then click on Travel expenses.

  3. If you also want to request a new tax card where the travel expenses have already been considered in the tax rate, select Request a new tax card. (See the instructions: Ordering a tax card in MyTax)

    If you do not want to request a new tax card, select Report deduction only.

    When you only report the deduction, the details you file will automatically show in your next request for a tax card or prepayments and in the pre-completed tax return. The credit will be taken into account in the tax rate of the next tax card or afterwards in the final tax assessment (in the amount of tax refund or back taxes).

  4. You can file the travel expenses by clicking Add new travel expense.

  5. Select Other than commute. Then select Temporary business trips and travel in special sectors.

  6. Select vehicle type.
    If you are filing the travel expenses for trips using your own car, for example, enter the following details:

    • state if have you worked at the location for more than 3 years
    • vehicle from drop-down list
    • state if your employer has given you tax-exempt compensation for your travel expenses and give the amount
    • whether or not you make the same trip regularly
    • address details (home address and address of the place of work)
    • daily travel distance (e.g. 20 km)
    • period of travel (e.g. 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020)
    • number of travel days
    • amount of travel expenses (e.g. €1,000)
  7. If everything is correct, click Submit.