The public register of Tax Numbers

The Tax Numbers of the individuals who work on construction sites can be entered in the new Public TN Register.

Registration will mean that anyone can check whether the name and Tax Number of any individual who works on a building site have been recorded by the Tax Administration. Similarly, employers and other issuers of name tags will be able to check that the Tax Numbers of their workers match the registration records of the Tax Administration.

Request for entry in the public TN Register

When the individual Tax Number is assigned to a construction worker it does not automatically mean that the worker is entered in the public TN Register. You have to request for registration. Requests may be made by

  • The construction workers themselves,
  • Their employer or  
  • The main contractor.  

In addition, the Tax Administration may enter an individual in the Register on its own initiative.


If you have a Finnish personal identity code

Workers and self-employed individuals are entitled to ask for registration by calling 029 497 070 or by visiting a tax office.

If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code

Workers and self-employed individuals who have not obtained a Finnish personal identity code must visit a tax office to request it and to also request an individual Tax Number. After this they are entitled to ask for registration.

For more information


When employers submit online requests for their workers' Tax Numbers and the request covers at least 20 individual workers, they will automatically be registered, and no separate requests for registration will then be necessary. The employer can send the requests online to the Tax Administration at Further information on this procedure will be available in June.

Removal from the tax number register

Workers can ask for their records to be removed from the public register of tax numbers. The worker must provide a statement that they no longer work in construction. For example, the worker may have moved on to work for an employer outside the construction industry.

The Tax Administration may also remove a worker from the register if no employee details have been filed for the worker in the past two years. The Tax Administration does not send the worker any notifications of the removal. If necessary, workers can be re-registered with the same tax number. 

The worker’s employer or other person who originally asked for the worker to be entered in the register cannot ask for them to be removed. Every employer has their own identifiers that the tax numbers are registered to, but each tax number is personal to each worker. Therefore, the employer or the construction site’s main contractor cannot have the right to request a worker’s removal from the register. Only the worker can determine whether they wish to remain in the register even if their work in construction ends.

Check the register of tax numbers

Check the correctness of registration entries; search the name, search the TN

The public TN Register is created and maintained by the central government. Its entry data consists of individuals' last name, first name and Tax Number. Online searches result in a simple statement on whether the searched individual is registered and whether the searched Tax Number is correct. Thus it is not enough to only key in the name or the Tax Number. Searches require the input of first name(s), last name and the Tax Number. The search result is the answer to the question whether they match, in other words, is there a registration or not. Other information (such as the individual's personal identity code) is not displayed.


Go to AnswerBank