Workers from other countries: Make an appointment to a tax office to get your Finnish personal identity code for a tax-related reason

You can ask the Tax Administration to issue a personal ID for you if you need it for a tax-related reason, such as working in Finland. To get a personal identity code, it is required that you visit the tax office in person. The processing time is usually 1 to 3 business days.

Personal identity codes can be obtained at the following tax offices: Helsinki (Hämeentie), Ivalo, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Kemi, Kittilä, Kokkola, Kuopio, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Maarianhamina, Oulu, Pori, Rovaniemi, Seinäjoki, Tampere, Turku, and Vaasa.

Other offices than those listed above will no longer issue identity codes.

Appointments for visiting a tax office

Appointments can be booked over the telephone at +358 29 497 050. Alternatively, your employer can use MyTax to book the appointment for you. Without an appointment, the waiting times are longer.

The Tax Administration checks your right to work in Finland

When you visit a tax office, you need to have all the necessary documents with you.  If you are a citizen of a country that is not part of the EU or the EEA including Switzerland, or if you have no citizenship, you must have a residence permit that also gives you the right to work in Finland. If you have worked in Finland before and already have the Finnish personal identity code, there is no need for you to be registered again. You can visit any office of the Finnish Tax Administration, not just the ones listed above, or you can deal with many of your tax matters by phone.

When the permit is required, it is the employer’s responsibility to make sure that the foreign worker has a residence permit that entitles them to work.  The foreign worker who requests to be registered must also make sure that they have the right to work in Finland.

If you do not have a residence permit that includes the right to work, you need to turn to the Immigration Service to get it. The Tax Administration can enter workers’ personal data in the Population Information System and issue personal identity codes only if the worker has a residence permit entitling them to work or if they have a right to work in accordance with the Aliens Act or the Seasonal Workers Act. For more information on work rights and residence permits, visit, the website of the Immigration Service

Read more:


Page last updated 9/13/2022