Buyer of shares for parking or storage facilities – pay transfer tax and file your return

You must pay transfer tax when you buy shares in a housing company or real estate company that entitle you to own a parking space, storage room, business premises or other space.

Buyers are required to calculate the amount and make the payment by themselves.


Calculate the tax

Transfer tax is 2% of the price (including any other consideration that had been agreed) and the unpaid part of any housing-company loan.

The “debt-free price” (velaton hinta; bostadens skuldfria pris) contains both the price of the flat itself and the part representing the housing-company loan, if any.

In other words, transfer tax is collected on the debt-free amount even though you might actually pay up the specific part of the housing-company loan when you sign the contract.

You can use the transfer tax calculator to help with the calculation.

Example: Sandy buys a parking space for 10,000 euros, the “selling price” – myyntihinta – as advertised. There is a loan balance of €2,000 allocated by the housing company to the shares that entitle Sandy to the parking. That is, the debt-free price on the advertisement is €12,000. Transfer tax is calculated on the basis of the €12,000. Accordingly, the transfer tax is 2% × €12,000 = €240. It does not matter whether Sandy pays off the housing company loans when she makes the purchase, or whether she pays them off gradually as part of her monthly maintenance charge.


File the return

Submit the transfer tax return in 2 months after you have signed the deed of sale or other contract (if no realtor assisted you).

If you acquire a parking space or other space with the assistance of a realtor

  • it is the realtor’s responsibility to file the transfer tax return to the Finnish Tax Administration, and
  • when he or she has done that, you will get a copy of an acknowledgement of receipt issued by the Tax Administration, saying that the electronically filed transfer tax return is received. 

If you acquired a “new property”: the building is still under construction or it is newly constructed, file the return in 2 months after the date of transfer of ownership to you. Do this even if a realtor had assisted you.

File in MyTax 

See instructions for how to fill out the form and enclosures

The paper-printed form can be used by individual taxpayers, general partnerships and limited partnerships.


Pay the tax

Pay the tax in 2 months after you have signed the deed of sale or other contract. For example, if you acquire a parking space through a real estate agent, pay the tax when you sign the contract.

If you acquired an item of new property, pay the tax within 2 months from the date when the right of ownership passes on to you. Do this even if a realtor had assisted you.

Please note that in order to pay the tax, you must use a bank reference number for transfer tax. We recommend that you look up your personal reference number before you go to the meeting where the contract is signed. Log in to MyTax to look up your personal reference number for transfer tax, or ask the telephone service to give it to you.

Pay in MyTax

See guidance for payments


Show the transfer tax certificate to the manager of the housing company

To have your name entered in the list of shareholders, show the manager one of the following:

  • Your certificate on transfer tax. You received this document when your transfer tax is filed and paid (and you did not have a realtor assisting you with the contract). You will receive it by post, and you can print it out in MyTax as well.
  • The acknowledgement of receipt that you received from the realtor.

Ask the manager about any other documentation they might require for having your name entered in the list of shareholders.

The exemption from transfer tax does not apply to a parking space

The exemption offered to first-time homebuyers only applies to a flat, apartment or house where people live on a permanent basis. When you buy your first home, you may also buy a parking space or storage facility together with it. Nevertheless, their prices are left outside the exemption if the shares of the housing company that entitle to the parking and storage spaces can be sold separately (there are specific series of shares for them).

Read more about the tax exemption of a first-time homebuyer and about securities trading. (In Finnish and Swedish, link to Finnish.)

Frequently asked questions

In general, transfer tax must be paid after purchase of shares in a housing company in 2 months after signing the deed of sale-and-purchase or other contract.  If a realtor assisted you when you bought the flat or apartment, transfer tax must be paid immediately when the contract is signed.  In the future, these deadlines will be exactly the same even if there is a provision for redemption in the housing company’s articles of association.

If a third-party buyer comes forward, invoking their rights as a redeemer of the flat you were going to acquire, they must pay the transfer tax and file a tax return on it in two months after redemption. In this case, you will no longer be the buyer and you can ask for refund of any transfer tax you had paid.