Submitting an appeal — transfer taxation

This guidance concerns individual and corporate taxpayers alike. It only concerns decisions issued by the Tax Administration after 1 January 2017.

You can appeal against a decision made by the Tax Administration concerning transfer tax. These include the decision to impose the transfer tax; the decision to impose a tax; and the decision on a request for refund.

In the case of a preliminary ruling on transfer taxes, the rules on how to make an appeal are different. Read more about how to appeal against preliminary rulings. You can file a claim for adjustment electronically in MyTax.

Make a claim for adjustment in MyTax

You can still send us your claim on paper if necessary. File the claim of adjustment on Form 6018e ‒ Claim for adjustment of transfer tax. Alternatively, you can write out the claim in your own words.

The following information is always required:

  • Appellant's name and personal identity code/Business ID
  • The decision you are seeking to change (give the decision number)
  • An explanation of how you want it to be changed
  • The reasons why you ask for the changes
  • Enclose photocopies of any relevant documents that support your claim, unless you have sent them to the Tax Administration previously. If you have an agent handling your taxes and you wish to have the decision letter sent to him or her, please indicate this on your claim and give the agent's address as appropriate. 

If you use the paper form to file your claim, send the completed form and enclosures to the address on the first page. Alternatively, deliver it to any tax office.

What is the deadline for the claim for adjustment?

The deadline is 3 years from the end of the tax year, but no less than 60 days from the date when the taxpayer was first informed of the decision on transfer taxation.

For purposes of the above rule, “tax year” means the calendar year when the real estate, asset, property, share, etc. was transferred, or when the liability to pay transfer tax had arisen due to some other reason.

Example: The date when Janne bought his house was 1 February 2019. He accidentally paid too much transfer tax on it. He asks for refund of the excess amount paid, and receives a decision on this request on 1 June 2019. He has until 2 January 2023 to appeal against the decision (noting the fact that 31 Dec 2022 will fall on a Saturday, so he can still send his appeal on the next business day).

Only claims submitted within the appeal period will be considered

Claims of adjustment must be delivered to the Tax Administration before the appeal period is over. Documents must be sent off by post in time to arrive to the Tax Administration no later than on the last day of the appeal period. Claims that arrive late will not be considered.