First-time homebuyer of a unit of real estate – how to file the transfer tax return and ask for registration

You must file a transfer tax return even if you do not pay transfer tax on your first-time home.



File the return

File the transfer tax return in 6 months from the date when you signed the deed of sale or other contract. If a contract of sale of real estate is made on 1 November 2019 or later, you must submit a transfer tax return. The transfer tax return contains a field where you must fill in your affirmation that this is your first-time home.

For contracts on real estate dated prior to 1 November 2019, there is no requirement to file a transfer tax return. However, you should ask the Tax Administration for an eligibility statement regarding your status as a first-time homebuyer. Call the service number on 029 497 022 (services for transfer taxes).

File in MyTax

The paper-printed form can be used by individual taxpayers, general partnerships and limited partnerships.


Apply for registration

Ask for registration of your ownership by confirming the transfer of title to you or for registration of your lease contract with the National Land Survey within 6 months after you have signed the deed of sale or other agreement.

Please note that you must file a transfer tax return before you can request registration. You do not have to enclose a certificate on transfer tax to the request. The National Land Survey will automatically receive the information that this unit is exemptible from transfer tax by virtue of a first-time homebuyer acquiring it.


Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a first-time homebuyer and buy real estate, which is only partly covered by the exemption offered to first-time homebuyers, and you are not sure what the exact amount of base is, you can ask the Tax Administration to prepare a statement. For example, only a part of the purchased real estate will entitle you to the first-time homebuyers’ exemption when it not only includes the land where you are going to build the house but also some fields, woods, or other sites or lots where a house can be built.

You can submit a free-text request in MyTax or complete Form 6020e, Request for a statement for registration of title and other legal confirmation. Enclose the following documentation:

  • a photocopy of the deed of sale or other contract (if real property had been transferred, the contract must additionally contain a public purchase witness’s signature)
  • Calculation and estimates, based on adequate reasoning, of how the purchase price has been divided. Enclose other documentation as appropriate.

Read more about how to ask for a Tax Administration’s statement

In a planned area, the exemption from transfer tax applies to no more than the plot as it is set out by the local zoning plan. If you have bought a site in an area that has not been zoned, your maximum exemption from transfer tax is for 10,000 square metres. This definition only limits the maximum tax-exempt size of the building site. The site used for the calculation of real estate tax is considered to be the tax-exempt building site.

You must pay transfer tax on the part of the price that you have paid for any land outside the tax-exempt maximum area. Examples of what you must include in such a price would be what you paid for woodland, field areas, or other sites suitable for construction of houses. In this case, you must present a calculation that shows the consistent parts of the price.

Alternatively, you can ask the Tax Administration to give you a statement on how much transfer tax you have to pay.