First-time homebuyer – how to file a transfer tax return for shares in a housing company

You must file a transfer tax return even if you do not pay transfer tax for your first home.


File the return

Submit the transfer tax return in 2 months after you have signed the deed of sale or other contract (if no realtor assisted you). The transfer tax return contains a field where you must fill in your affirmation that this is your first-time home.

If you buy with the assistance of a realtor

  • the realtor also submits the return to the Tax Administration, and
  • when he or she has done that, you will get a copy of an acknowledgement of receipt issued by the Tax Administration, saying that the electronically filed transfer tax return is received.

If you purchased a “new property”: a home still under construction or newly constructed, file the return in 2 months after the date of transfer of ownership to you. Do this even if a realtor had assisted you.

File in MyTax

How to file a transfer tax return in MyTax

The paper-printed form can be used by individual taxpayers, general partnerships and limited partnerships.



You will receive a certificate on filed transfer tax in MyTax or by post. Normally, after you have filed, the certificate will appear in MyTax in 2 days. Finding the certificate in MyTax. If you file your return on paper, wait for the certificate of transfer tax to become available in MyTax a little later.

If a realtor assists you when you buy the housing-company shares, you get the certificate from the realtor (the estate agent’s office). MyTax does not contain the certificate if the realtor issued it. 


Present the certificate to your building manager

You should ask the manager whether the housing company’s information is in the new Property Information System.

If the company’s lists of shares and shareholders are not recorded in the new system, show the building manager the certificate. It proves that you paid the tax. Taxpayers who have submitted the transfer tax return form before 1 November 2019 receive a stamped copy of the submitted return from the Tax Administration, and they can use it as their certificate. Ask the manager about any other documentation they might require for having your name entered in the list of shareholders.

If your housing company is on the Property Information System, submit an application to the National Land Survey for registration of your ownership. Your transfer-tax payment is recorded in the Property Information System automatically, so you do not have to present any certificate to the manager

Page last updated 11/16/2020