Online service for car tax
Car tax payments are transferred to the Tax Administration’s bank account after 1 to 3 days even if this e-service is temporarily offline
If you send your payment in this e-service and an error message appears, your payment will still be transferred to the Tax Administration after 1 to 3 days. The Finnish Traffic and Communications Agency (Traficom) will receive permission for vehicle registration when the payment has arrived in the Tax Administration’s account.
If there is an error in the e-service, make sure that the payment has not been debited from your bank account before you make the online payment again. If you accidentally pay too much, you will receive your excess payment back in a week.
Go to the service (only available in Finnish and Swedish)
Private individuals log into the service with personal online banking codes or a mobile ID. Companies use a Katso ID to log in.
Self-employed individuals (“toiminimi”):
- If you log in with your online banking codes, enter your personal details in the return, not your company’s details.
- If you log in with a Katso ID, the company acts as the representative. Enter your personal details under taxpayer details.
What is the e-service for?
You can use this e-service to file a car tax return or to request the car tax refund for export.
You must file the car tax return in five days from filing the declaration of use
- when importing a car to Finland
- when taking into use an unregistered car bought in Finland or a car that has a valid vehicle registration in a foreign country.
A company engaged in import, manufacture or sale of a vehicle can also use the e-service to file the declaration of use for a vehicle to be used for display purposes.
What information is required?
- Personal details, address and telephone number
- The vehicle’s basic details and technical specifications from its official documentation
- Valid e-mail address where the Tax Administration will contact you after
- issuing the car tax decision
- receiving payment
- sending the registration permit
- requesting further information.
Remember the required attachments
If you import a used vehicle, your application must have the following attachments:
- the foreign vehicle registration certificate
- the Finnish certificate of inspection for registration, if the registration process in Finland has started.
If you import a new vehicle, attach to your application:
- the deed of sale
- a list of accessories, if the vehicle has any.
Accepted file formats are pdf, jpeg, png and tiff. You can take a photo of the document you need to attach and upload it in one of these formats.