More information on ALVEU
Description of Purpose
ALVEU helps you submit application forms online
- VAT refunds from another EU country: A business registered in Finland may request refund of VAT, if the business has made purchases of goods and services in another EU Member State for the purposes of its VAT activities.
ALVEU System requirements
To launch ALVEU, you need
- internet connections
- The e-Services of the Finnish Tax Administration support the latest browser versions (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome)
- cookies enabled
To sign in to ALVEU, you need
- a Katso ID, or
- If you are a self-employed individual, you are entitled to use your personal Network banking ID, or alternatively a personal microchip ID card
ALVEU steps and instructions for use
Four Process steps:
Step 1: Client information
- basic sign-in information is directly retrieved from the database:
- business ID, name, country
Information based on your input in your first ALVEU session:
- e-mailstreet address
- postal code
- line of business
The Information provided column will show your own client information, if you have previously submitted a refund application and filled out the electronic application with your details. Press Edit to go to Specification page to make any changes or additions.
Press Messages to read any incoming messages.
Step 2: Basic information on the application – Create New
Basic information on the application
- period of VAT refund
- country of VAT refund
- language selection for writing any free-text descriptions
Description of the business, for purposes of which goods/services were purchased
- description of the line of business
Agent information. No input unless you use a representative/an agent.
- agent's ID and type of ID
- VAT number
- tax reference number
- Another ID
- agent's name
- lstreet address
- postal code
Bank account in an EU country
- name of account holder
- role of account holder
- own bank account
- agent's bank account
- IBAN account number
- BIC code
- unit of currency
Step 2: Basic information on the application – Select a previous application to make changes
In Step 2, to make changes or additions, you can select a previous refund application, which you have either already submitted or have not yet submitted but saved as incomplete. Press Edit to go to the Specification page. Please be advised that you cannot add new invoices or import documents to a submitted request.
Use the following criteria with the Search feature:
- period concerned by the application
- country of refund
- application number
If it is necessary to cancel an application that has been saved as incomplete, first select it and then press Cancel.
Step 3: Specification of invoices/import documents
The system will automatically assign a sequential number to each invoice or other document relating to importation.
Write the following details:
- invoice no / import document no
- invoice date / import document date
- description of the import document, written in the pre-selected language (If no sequential number exists for the import document, please give a free-text description to identify the document. Use the previously selected language)
- use of simplified invoice details – yes or no
- seller's name, VAT number or TIN, country, street address, postal code and city
- description of the category of goods or services purchased (with codes and sub-codes) or a free-text description. Use the previously selected language
- price exclusive of VAT
- amount of VAT portion, expressed as a percentage, that entitles the applicant to VAT refund
- requested amount of VAT refund
- unit of currency
Invoices/import documents and Power of Attorney should be attached.
- name of file
- type of file permitted file types:
- Tiff, Jpeg and Pdf. We recommend the Pdf format
- Description of file contents
When making an new application, press Add new invoice or Add new document to add the new details in Specification of invoices/import documents. A new window appears. Fill in the lines with details. The recorded invoices and import documents are listed in the window.
You can upload your own files as attachments to the application. When you organize the invoices and import documentation, follow the layout of the sample file. If you import a file, the permissible format is CSV (*.csv), one of the available formats within Excel.
Look up the layout, sample file
Format requirements for column H (VAT number or Tax Registration Number) and for columns S to X (Types of goods and services purchased): the cells should preferably be in text format. Make the cell format settings before you fill in the data. Save the file, but do not close it before you start uploading it. If you do so, and the data consists of numbers, the Excel software will change the text-formatted cells back to number format. Likewise, if the data consists of numbers and dots (as in the sub-codes of expenditure codes), Excel will change the text-formatted cells into date format. 2.2.2. In addition, if you put a country code in front of the VAT number (such as SE12345678901), the cell format will remain as text, and the ALVEU website itself will remove the leading 'SE'. As a result, the VAT number is uploaded correctly.
When you upload the data, you can only use the expenditure codes that the country of refund allows. To check what codes are allowed, go to Stage 3 – Add new invoice. The codes that are shown in Stage 3 are the codes allowed by the country that you have selected previously as the country of refund in Stage 2.
The maximum quantity of expenditure codes you may include is 5 per invoice (or 5 per import document) and they are given in columns S to W. If you use code 10, you must add a free-text explanation in column X. It is permissible to enter code 10 into any of the columns S to W.
No more than 100 invoices or import documents are allowed in one file. However, you can attach several attachments in your refund application, but you should upload them one file at a time. Each upload will be subject to a check process. The checking will result in corrections to be made if necessary. You should make the corrections that are shown in order to move on to Save or Submit.
When making changes or corrections to an earlier input, first select the invoice/import document from the list, and then proceed to make corrections. Press Edit to go to Specification to make changes, additions or corrections to your earlier data input.
Press Delete to remove the invoice/import document entirely.
Press Add attachment to add any attachment files.
Step 4: Submittal
Prior to submitting your completed refund application, please go over all the details in the review. You can still make corrections as necessary.
Press Submit to send your request to the Finnish Tax Administration. After submittal, you can see a review in the window. Press Print Version to print it out. You also have the option to save and quit. The system will keep your data input stored until the last deadline date of your refund application. After that, the data will be deleted. However, you may also sign out without saving.
Please remember to sign out to close.
Please note that if you press Sign Out in the top right before your session is complete, the Finnish Tax Administration systems will not save your data input.
Instructions for use and Help are available on the right. For more information, press Help.
Official decision in response to your application
The Finnish Tax Administration will receive your data input and send it on electronically to country of refund. Later, the tax authority of that country will send you a confirmation of receipt, and in 4 to 8 months you will receive a decision as an answer to your refund application.
Legal responsibility for correct data input
Signing in to ALVEU and data input in ALVEU is legally similar to the earlier procedure of filling out an official application form. Please remember that you are responsible for the correctness of all data input.