Certificate of paid taxes or certificate of tax debts
This guidance concerns individual and corporate taxpayers alike.
If you have paid your taxes and filed your tax returns for self-assessed taxes by the due date, you can ask the Tax Administration to send you a certificate of paid taxes.
You can instead ask for a certificate of tax debts, if
- you have some taxes overdue (i.e. you have tax debt)
- you have not filed one or more tax returns for VAT, withholding or health insurance contributions by due date, or payments are outstanding
- you have debt, based on your liability to pay taxes on behalf of a third party
- you have debt, based on an obligation to pay compensation for damages
- you owe taxes due to a corporate restructuring program or a private individual's debt adjustment program, or
- there is a payment arrangement with the Tax Administration currently in force.
When is the tax debt certificate not necessary?
If the Tax Debt Register (www.ytj.fi) shows that there are no records of an unpaid tax or neglected tax return for the company, self-employed operator, or estate of a deceased person you are looking for information on, there is no need to ask the Tax Administration to issue a certificate unless e.g. a prospective customer demands it.
Always check the Tax Debt Register first to see whether the company you are interested in is listed there. The register has no information on private individuals.
Requesting the certificates
Tax debt certificates and certificates of paid taxes can be requested
- in MyTax (tax.fi/mytax)
- On an e-form (tax.fi/taxdebtcertificate)
- By telephone, on 029 497 032 (Tax debt certificates, limited service available in English, standard call rates)
You can either request just one certificate or make a standing request so that a new, up-to-date certificate is delivered to you once a month or every three months. A standing order will remain valid for one year counting from the date of delivery of the first certificate.
Self-printing in MyTax
If a certificate is requested in MyTax, the system delivers it to MyTax immediately. You can print it out yourself. If you requested the certificate over the telephone, we deliver it within 3 to 4 business days to the address recorded in the Tax Administration's database as your postal address. The Tax Administration does not send the certificates by e-mail. English versions are only available by telephone or at the tax office.
The certificates only show the current state of affairs
The contents of the certificates only refer to the facts known at the date of issue. We do not issue certificates for a date that has already passed.
We only issue them to the taxpayers themselves, or to those who are authorised to receive them, i.e. to people who have a power of attorney signed by the taxpayer or to public authorities who have the right to receive the certificate by law. Certificates are marked with authentication codes.
If you need to check whether a business' registrations are valid in the Employer Register, VAT Register and Prepayment Register, you must look up the business under its company name in the Business Information System.