New enterprise - General or Limited partnership

New general and limited partnerships must submit a notification to the Tax Administration, and they must also be entered in the Trade Register maintained by the Finnish Patent and Registration Office. The Start-Up Notification of a partnership must be filed with the Trade Register within 3 months of signing the partnership agreement. If this is not done, the setting up of the partnership expires.

For a general partnership, there must be at least two people who sign up as its partners. For a limited partnership, at least one general (active) and one silent partner are needed.  They sign a written agreement on partnership, which they enclose to the Start-Up Notification. The notification must be filed to the Trade Register in 3 months.

Read more about partners and partnership agreements. (In Finnish)

Complete Form Y2 for registration 

By completing a single Start-Up Notification form you can ask for entry to the Trade Register, Prepayment Register, the Register of Employers and the VAT Register. You receive a Business ID in a couple of days. However, allow some three weeks for entry in the registers of the Tax Administration.

Fill in and print the Y2 Start-Up Notification Form (

Send completed form to:
PRH – Verohallinto
Business Information System
PO Box 2000 

A handling fee is collected. You must pay it in advance and enclose the receipt with the Start-Up Notification.

Read more about the Trade Register's handling fees (

Read more about registrations with the Tax Administration:

The Business ID

New businesses are given a Business ID as soon as their Start-Up Notification has been recorded in the Business Information System (BIS). We send you a letter to inform you of your newly issued Business ID; you can also see it displayed on the BIS website in two or three days from filing your Start-Up Notification.

Check the Business ID (

Don't delay with your Start-Up Notification

If you don't operate in an industry requiring a permit issued by the controlling authorities, you can start your trade or business as soon as you have filed the Start-Up Notification. The partners are completely liable for debts of the business until registration with the Trade Register is complete. 

For this reason, before you start trading, we recommend that you open a separate "business" bank account for spending and receiving money, arrange your bookkeeping, buy any insurance you might need and so on.  Contact your insurance company to learn more about the statutory pension insurance (YEL) for the self-employed.

Let us know your estimated income (for prepayments)

You are expected to fill in an estimate of your partnership's estimated income and expenses for the first accounting year on the Start-Up Notification. It is needed for a calculation of income-tax prepayments.

Every partner must additionally submit a personal application for prepayments because income tax will be collected from each one of them.  When completing the application, give us an estimate of the income the partnership is going to pay you,  and list your other income and deductions as well. This information is included in the prepayment calculation.

Sector of business included in the Start-Up Notification

When you fill in the Start-Up Notification you must also identify your line of business and tell us what kind of business you are going to conduct. Examples of different lines of business include construction services, construction of residential housing, transport services, or beauty and health services.

Only one line of business is recorded in the Trade Register and other information systems, and it is shown on the BIS website as your main line of business. However, your business may run other operations as well if you have stated them on the Start-Up Notification.

Report your main line of business on the Start-Up Form using the Standard Industrial Classification of Statistics Finland.

Visit the website of Statistics Finland:


Go to AnswerBank