Self-employed individual – Request a refund on purchases made in another country
You may be entitled to a refund of the VAT included in the purchase price of goods or services you have bought if
- your business is registered for VAT
- you buy goods or services from abroad for your VAT-liable business activities
- your business is not liable to pay VAT on sales in the country where the goods or services were bought.
You may also be entitled to a refund of VAT you have paid on imported goods.
If certain conditions apply, foreign companies may also be entitled to a VAT refund on the goods or services they have bought in Finland.
Finnish self-employed individual – How to request a refund from another country
MyTax has replaced ALVEU. You can request a VAT refund from another EU Member State in MyTax. You will need the invoices and receipts on the goods and services you have bought to support your VAT refund claim.
How to request a VAT refund from another EU Member State in MyTax
You can also claim a VAT refund from certain non-EU countries. Contact the tax authority of the country in question and ask for more information.
Self-employed individual operating in another country – How to request a refund from Finland
If you have business activities in another EU Member State
Request a VAT refund in the online service of the tax authority in your own country.
- VAT refunds to self-employed individuals located in another EU Member State (detailed guidance)
- Template for a power of attorney
If you have business operations in a non-EU country
You may be entitled to a VAT refund on goods and services purchased in Finland if
- your business is not liable to pay VAT on sales in Finland
- your business does not have a permanent establishment in Finland.
If your business is located in a non-EU country, request a refund by filing Form 9550 on paper. You can find the form and instructions for filling in the form on the Forms page.