Foreign workers need not visit the tax office to get tax cards or tax numbers

News, 5/29/2020
Updated 11.1.2021: This simplified process is in force until 30 September 2021.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Tax Administration allows newly arrived workers to send application forms for a tax card and tax number without requiring them to visit a tax office in person.  

The Finnish Tax Administration urges newly arrived workers from other countries to avoid visiting the local tax office. For the time being, tax cards and tax numbers can be issued based on a completed application form. 

For newly arrived workers from other countries, this arrangement makes it easier to begin working in Finland. There is no need to stand in a queue at the tax office. In fact, the application form can be sent even before the individual worker leaves their home country. Workers can receive both the tax card and the tax number in just a few days’ time.

Completed application forms must be sent to the Tax Administration by secure e-mail. Call our telephone service on +35829 497 050 to ask about the forms you should complete and to request instructions for secure e-mailing.  These simplified rules are in effect up to 30 September 2021.